Sunday, January 30, 2005

Coming of the dawn



Coming of the Dawn

They had walked for long in the dark without star or moon to guide or give them light. The boy and the old man. The old man aways in the lead. His footing sure. He was like an old tree. Twisted with many growth lines. The boy was young and smooth skin with wolf wild hair that kept getting into his eyes so that he would have to brush it away constantly.

After walking for so long it seemed to the boy that his legs would drop off from his body and his head would roll away the old man stopped and sat down on the moist earth and grass. The boy knew they were finally at their destination. The shaman was finally going to show him magic. This was it. This was the moment he was sick with the yearning for. This was the thing that haunted his every moment. Magic! Now, he the apprentice would finally begin to learn the secrets. Today, the old man had promised to show him magic. The boy was impatient. He wanted it NOW. He knew better than to bother or plead the old man. At best he would be ignored or it might bring him a cuff to the ear.

They sat the night and all around them the most beautiful songs of birds could be heard. The edge of the sky blanket began to brighten a lighter blue and the lens of his soul registers new shapes in the light. He saw trees with branches all curled and trying to touch the sky. Finally came the glowing glory of the coming of the dawn. the horizon seemed to seem on fire with the fierce orange glow.

"Look," said the old man pointing at the horizon. "Magic," he said as he pointed. And they sat and watched a new day be born together.

Copyright 2005 - all rights reserved by poster.

11 comments:

Acrix said...

Nice photo~ I like the tree particularly!

Cristina said...

Wow! I love this picture!! The way you see nothing but the tree and the way the colour changes from the lower part to the upper part is incredibly beautiful. I think is my favourite picture by you up to date - and I like your pictures a lot. Really, really nice.

Silence said...

I going to keep it simple and just say "Wow". Great picture.

Martin said...

Acrix, thanks :-)

Cristina, Yeah, I really liked that gradual change of colours. I really like the dawn. Glad you liked it a lot :-)

Hay, thanks for the comment and glad you liked :-) Keep spamming me! lol :-D

Best Wishes
:: Luna ::

Ubermensch said...

love sfumato of the colours....and the text reminds me of coelho....
cheers

poppycock said...

luna, what a beautiful picture this is. the layers of color blending into one another is fantastic. it's magical, indeed.

misispi

Pincushion said...

oooooh, beautiful ! the pic is one of my favs (something which i am always sketching..gnarled trees reaching for the heavens !)..taken against the background of dawn..the flaming oranges..simply breathtaking !
....'lens of the soul'...loved it ! keep them coming :)

Anonymous said...

A great pic! The story blends well with the pic too.
To me - this is reminiscent of Africa. A magical & spirited continent! I taught in Africa for a short period. Wonderful memories!
The picture and prose are remindful of another poem. I hope you don't mind me quoting it?

"Passing Time"

Your skin like dawn
Mine like dusk

One paints the beginning
of a certain end

The other the end of a
sure beginning

-Maya Angelou

a whisper*

. : A : . said...

Very well written. I think the words are very powerful and blend in so well with the picture. Really liked the ending, ""Look," said the old man pointing at the horizon. "Magic," he said as he pointed. And they sat and watched a new day be born together."

Thanks for this.

Anonymous said...

Only one criticism - your grammar requires some work!

a whisper*

Martin said...

Ubermench, thanks for the comment. I am familiar with Coelho, but I have not read anything by him :-)

Writersblock, it's actually inspired by an unwritten story of mine. Maybe some day I will get around to writing that one. It has been lurking in me for so long begging to be born :-) Glad you liked!

mayamaya, glad you liked and could bring you some magic :-)

Pincushion, yeah, I love the winter tree lims against the sky. I wish I could draw better trees! Oh well... practice makes perfect!

A whisper, interesting words as always but as always not sure what it has to do with the image or text. Still stalking me huh? :-) You make a good stalker. I prefer it when you email me. Grammar... thanks for pointing that out. Nobody perfect, right?

.:A:., glad you liked the writing. To write something, at least something I can be happy with, is a lot harder than the photography. Sure you know this since you also do both things :-) You're welcome for this. Glad I could bring something good into your day :-)