Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Poem: When?


When?

Oh what when
Discordant love
Breaks you
On a disconsolate shore
With lonely seagull screams
And burning sand?

Oh what when the night is too long
Bereft of all but the saddest songs
And the day is a miser
With charms and alms
- Yet too generous with hateful crimes
Drudgery and death?

Know then, it shall pass
Clasp a bright candle against the wind
Secure a bright candle in your soul
There is the beautiful, the good, the magical in this world
This is what you must believe in
This is what I must believe in.



Something differnt today :-)

It's been awhile since I posted up a poem. I hope you enjoyed the poetic interlude between the photographs. A little something beween the visual moments. As poems sometimes do, it just came to me as I was standing, in all places, in the kitchen doing the dreaded washing up!!! The poem isn't connected to washing up. But there you are, my brain works in strange ways!

In other news: I have created a new blog! It's an idea that has been strolling around my brain for a very long time. In fact, it's been there pretty much since I decided to start this blog up. Recently it's been in my head and I am sure that I want to do it. Also I have been reading "Grifin and Sabine" and the format of telling a story via only the written thoughts seems to work quite well.

The idea is to try and tell a story using the blog enteries as a format. The story is told and unfolded via reading diary enteries placed in a book by somebody called "Anastasia" The person she is, where she is, who else is involved, and so on are revealed by her diary enteries. Hopefully I can tell a full story using this method. The story and blog is called "The Kingdom" and can be found here: http://mysterious-words.blogspot.com/ Any suggestions and comments greatly welcomed! :-)

- Martin 2005

12 comments:

Just Me said...

hmmmm...just when you think you know what someone is like...unexpected sadness in the first 2 verses...but the expected martin in the last one: optimism.

very nice.
~heather~

Martin said...

Well, I am many things and complex. Heh, I'm sure everybody says that :-D

Some aspects I don't give much voice to.

Thanks for the comment! :-)

- Martin

mermaid said...

I have to believe in something good to go on. I believe in you and this. Thank you.

That Girl said...

sigh.,. it shall pass.. i know... but the living through it is such torture...

Anonymous said...

Very Nice :), liked your other blog too.

Martin said...

MERMAID: You are welcome!

I was thinking you might like to hear this when I was posting it. Keep smiling and optomistic :-)

The ocean is with you heart and soul. You must see a lot of troubles and dreadful things when you are healing.

It's a beautiful world. There is much good. Keep the ocean with you and keep smiling, Mermaid :-)

GRAFXGURL: Thank you for your comment :-)

I know that living through it is hell. All too well :-) It shall pass... and while you are going through it. Remember it's a beautiful world. There is much magic to be found. And what was once shall be again.

Keep a candle burning bright :-)

RONNY: Thank you and thanks for taking the time to see the other blog. I'm looking forward to write it. Glad you liked it! Hope you enjoy the journey and the places it will take you... :-)

- Martin

Borya said...

Know that it's off topic but I need to remind myself that I want to tell you about Jaen, Ubeda y Baeza. Guess you know what I mean.

Martin said...

Ah! Well, I will remind you closer to the time? I look forward to hearing your recommendations and so on :-)

Thanks Borya!

- Martin

. : A : . said...

Fresh change!

Liked the ending,

"There is the beautiful, the good, the magical in this world
This is what you must believe in
This is what I must believe in."

Martin said...

:A: Thanks! :-)

- Martin

Anonymous Poet said...

Haunting and enchanting at the same time.

"Lonely seagul screams and burning sand?" So evocative.

The last stanza is a wonderful reminder. Classic. Quotable.

Is this about a particular experience? Or something in your imagination?

Take care!

Martin said...

ANON: Thanks for your comment :-)

Well, I think whatever we ( and by "we" I mean writes of any kind or any form ) always write from our own experience. No matter what, we dredge our words from the most intimate corners of our souls and from the deeps of our hearts.

The poem was really made up from many things.

The first i something that I have felt and a question that I have asked.

The second was influenced by the harm that humanity seems to be so eager to inflict on each other. I had the London bombers in mind in particular.

The third is the answer to the third. Really it's a meditation on the sorry, pain and ugly side of life but also with the answer that even so there is still the good and the beautiful.

Martin :-)