Monday, August 22, 2005

Strange and Norrel


I finished my novel today that I been reading called Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and I have to say I loved it! I know some found it slow to start, but I didn't. Maybe it's because I really enjoyed her narrative voice and usage of language. The archaic spellings were a great touch as were the footnotes!

The story moved at just the right pace and was populated by a wonderful cast of complex characters. None of them were cardboard cut outs and each had a set of complex motivations. Some of their character were good and some were bad, just as real people.

The fairy were great. They were just how I personally envision them to be. They were beautiful and magical yet also alien, twisted, and dark beings. Toward the end of the book things just got better! I was reading in bed till 3AM last night as I could not stop! I finally succumbed to sleep but finished off the last 50 or so pages today.Great stuff and I would highly recommend it!

My only problem is what to read next! I am still in a magical and or archaic mood! Thinking of re-reading Mythago Wood

Martin - 2005

10 comments:

Just Me said...

don't say any more!! it's going to take me awhile to get through this. i thought the fictional footnotes was a great idea. i haven't gotten very far, yet: the york society has just been to the cathedral. so far, so good.

not magical, but are you familiar with the science fictiona fantasy of anne mccaffrey: dragonriders of pern, etc. good reading, if you like that kind of stuff.
~heather~

Martin said...

JUST ME: OK, my lips are sealed :-)

I have heard f Anne Mccaffry and her Pern novels. I have read the first one "dragon riders"? but haven't read any more. I did really like it. There are so many of them that it's kind of daunting!

- Martin

. : A : . said...

Reminds me to pick up new books, including this one!

:-)

Martin said...

JENNIE: I hope you get to read it! It's a great book! Although be prepared because it's also a huge book to read!

I think there is something in what you say about not being ready to leave the world yet. I didn't really want it to end. Now I'm dreaming of magic and mystery :-)

:A: It's a keeper! The prose is great. Recommend it to all :-)

- Martin

keed said...

great. i am reading balzacś history of the thirteen.

Ubermensch said...

Martin,
Interesting , next stop; nice to see some book recommendations here.Wud be keen to know more tastes.
Ubermensch

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked it, I've been on the fence for awhile about whether I would read it or not but now I've heard a few really good things about it so I will :)

Martin said...

FINEGAN: Check it out :-)

BILLY: Had to look that one up! Thanks, interesting :-)

Is that the kind of thing you normally are into reading?

UBER: I will try to post more about books as they are one of my passions :-)

RONNY: YAY! Hope you do like it. I was undecided myself when I first heard about the book being not sure at all that I would like it. I'm glad I finally took the plunge and got it. I hope you like it too :-)

- Martin

Anonymous said...

The tyranny of words,words,words.

The greatest things in life are beyond words.

Listen to the silence, it screams at us all.

Martin said...

FINNEGAN: I looked up the book you mentioned. It's certainly getting very good reviews! If you like that you may like "Star of the ocean" have you read it?

- Martin